The global network of leaders in interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary research organisations has met three times.
1. March 2018 SESYNC meeting
In March 2018, the National Socio-Environmental Synthesis Center (SESYNC) in Annapolis, Maryland, USA, held the first global meeting of leaders in interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary organisations. Twenty leaders attended.
- Palmer, L. (2018). Meeting the leadership challenges for interdisciplinary environmental research. Nature Sustainability, 1, 330-333. (For a copy see; Palmer (2018) (PDF 790KB); or (Online) (DOI): https://doi.org/10.1038/s41893-018-0103-3; or, https://rdcu.be/234H)
- Follow-up meetings in Ann Arbor and Santa Fe
- Formation of an Oceania leaders network, which met in Brisbane, Australia in May 2019.
2. November 2018 Ann Arbor meeting
The Ann Arbor follow-up meeting was held in mid-November 2018 at the School for the Environment and Sustainability, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA. Twelve leaders attended.
- Discussion about the formation of a new global community of practice
- Discussion about a strategy to develop programmatic and educational resources for future leaders
3. November 2018 Santa Fe meeting
The Santa Fe follow-up meeting was held in late-November 2018 at the Santa Fe Institute in New Mexico, USA. Eleven leaders attended.
- Commentary – “Forging Future Organizational Leaders for Sustainability Science,” Nature Sustainability 2: 647-649 (2019); http://doi.org/10.1038/s41893-019-0357-4 (authors: Gordon IJ, Bawa K, Bammer G, Boone C, Dunne J, Hart D, Hellmann J, Miller A, New M, Ometto J, Pickett S, Wendorf G, Agrawal A, Bertsch P, Campbell CD, Dodd P, Janetos A, Mallee H & Taylor K).
- Paper – “Preparing Interdisciplinary Leadership for a Sustainable Future,” in final stages of preparation.